Susan represents small and large employers in all types of employment related issues and disputes, in roughly equal split between preventative counseling and management-side litigation. Before co-founding Lorenger & Carnell, Susan was a partner in the Labor & Employment Group of Hogan & Hartson, and before that, Susan had represented companies in employment and other civil litigation with Covington & Burling in Washington, D.C.
A native of Norfolk, Susan graduated from the University of Virginia and then the University of Virginia School of Law. Before entering private practice, Susan clerked for then-Chief Judge J. Frederick Motz, United States District Court for the District of Maryland in Baltimore.
Susan, her husband Bill, and their two children reside in Alexandria, Virginia.
- B.A., with high distinction, University of Virginia (1994)
- J.D., Order of the Coif, University of Virginia School of Law (1997)
- Virginia Law Review, Editorial Board
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Virginia Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment, Band 3 (2019)
- Super Lawyers, Labor & Employment (Washington, DC and Virginia), 2012-2020
Email Susan Carnell: